Fwd: [squid-users] reverse proxy problems

From: <mortbox@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:50:01 -0500

i've asked to be removed countless times. here's another message that
i didn't want. it's really not that hard to remove somebody is it...

This is a forwarded message
From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
To: "\"Ehrhardt, Jörg\"" <JEhrhardt@IhrPlatz.de>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2004, 5:45:44 PM
Subject: [squid-users] reverse proxy problems

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, "Ehrhardt, Jörg" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problems with authentication querys over squid.
>
> This is what I have to do.
>
> The Clients will connect to www.abc.com, which is pointing to rProxy1 in the DMZ1.
> rProxy1 will forward all to rProxy2 (Port 80) standing in the DMZ2.
> rProxy2 will forward to www.def.com:8000
>

> Internet --www.abc.com--> Firewall ---> rProxy1 (Port80) ---> rProxy2(Port 80) ---www.def.com---> SAP (Port8000)
>
> My problem is, that a client connection request starts ususal with a pop-up window with an account query.
> But unlike a direct connection the account information seems not
> The server asks two more times for the account information and then serves a standard webpage.

A good way to figure out what is going on is to set up a proxy for the
client. That way you have a trace of exacly what URLs the client requests.

The most common problem in reverse proxies is that servers have a real bad
habit of giving absolute URLs to the client, forcing them to go directly
to the URL the server thinks is the correct URL for himself, which may be
quite different from what the client should actually be going to via the
reverse proxy.

Best regards,
 mortbox                            mailto:mortbox@gamebox.net