Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5.STABLE1 and NTLM auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:17:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Bernd Bartmann wrote:

> I'm having problems to get Squid and NTLM auth running. My servers run
> Red Hat Linux 9, squid-2.5.STABLE1 and samba-2.2.7a. I use the rpms
> provided by Red Hat but I had to patch the squid rpm to include
> - --enable-auth=basic,ntlm in configure line.

The Samba RPM shipped by RedHat does not include challenge-response
support required for NTLM operation.

> auth_param ntlm program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth -d testdomain/nt4-srv

The old ntlm_auth shipped with Squid-2.5 is not related to Samba. It is
known to have quite many problems.

I would highly recommend switching to Samba-3 and the helper shipped with
Samba-3.

> ntlm-auth[19490](libntlmssp.c:119): Connecting to server NT4-SRV domain
> TESTDOMAIN
> ntlm-auth[19490](libntlmssp.c:126): Couldn't connect to SMB Server.
> Error:The attempt to call the remote server failed. See protocol error info.
> ~ RFCNBE_BadName: NetBIOS name could not be translated to IP address.

Your server does not know the IP address of your domain controller. It
probably needs to be added to /etc/hosts or something.

But as said above, skip this helper and instead go for Samba-3. Much more
stable.