Re: RES: [squid-users] --> How stable is Samba 3 ???

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:02:44 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, [utf-8] Alex Carlos Braga Antão wrote:

> I asked because I have a squid serving 1000 clients, with NTLM-winbind.

Ok.

> Is it safe (comparing to 2.5STABLE) to use it on a production
> environment ? And the transition, what modifications should I make,
> since I have samba 2.2.8 with winbind ?

What are you talking about here? Squid or Samba?

Samba 3.0.1 is fully ready for production, and is the current production
quality release of Samba. The winbind implementation in Samba 3.0 is much
better than it was in Samba 2.2.X.

Squid 3 is not yet ready for production without extensive testing, and
hence there is no Squid-3.0.STABLE release yet.

Squid-2.5.STABLE4 is the current production quality release of Squid.
Squid-2.5.STABLE works just fine together with Samba 3.0 winbind, using
the ntlm_auth helper provided by Samba 3.0 (same helper for both basic and
ntlm auth).

Squid-2.5.STABLE5 is currently under preparation and will amongst many
other things work much better for NTLM authentication as has been
discussed just a few hours ago.