[squid-users] Squid does not accept funny character in the domain?

From: Hwee Khoon, Neo <hweekhoon.neo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:59:34 +0800

Hi, I am using squid 2.5S4. I ca'nt access sites like
http://`black.blogspot.com/ which has the "`" character in the domain. I
understand from the FAQ that underscore are not allowed, and the solution
calls for the using of ./configure --enable-underscores does not seems like
a possible solution.

I've tried and found that if I am bypassing squid using direct telnet, the
following get request would work:

What I find strange is that IE can retrieve the site if it goes direct, but
if it is going thru Squid it fails. Is'nt the browser tasked with generating
the GET request headers before passing thru the proxy? If that's the case,
the browser should be telling Squid that the domain is black.blogspot.com
and the host is `black.blogspot.com, just like it did by going direct to the
site.

Thanks.
HK

# telnet black.blogspot.com 80