RE: [squid-users] squid 2.5.STABLE4 + FreeBSD 5.x = crash after a while...

From: Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:33:56 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Elsen Marc wrote:

> > - Well, it is consuming a lot of cpu, and doesnt
> > respond(crash?) at the
> > same time. It doesnt answer to its port, it doesnt respond to the -k
> > shutdown or kill -TERM [pid] commands.
> >
> > - I have checked the cache log every time this happened. It just has
> > something else as the last entry. Usually its something about illegal
> > domain names, some people always enter some domain names
> > which are totally
> > wrong. I doubt the problem is something about that. I also check the
> > operating system's logs like messages file etc. There is absolutely
> > nothing. I check the memory status and shared memory status.
> > I didnt see
> > anything weird.
> >
> > - I have tried rebuilding the OS and the squid. I think
> > FreeBSD was about
> > version 5.1 when I started using the 5.x versions and now its
> > almost 5.3
> > version. Everytime I recompiled the operating system from
> > sources. I also
> > downloaded the latest snapshot of squid and compiled it too.
> > Here are my
> > configure arguments
> >
> > --enable-err-language=Turkish --enable-removal-policies=heap
> > --disable-hostname-checks --enable-storeio=diskd --enable-icmp
> >
> > Evren
> >

> What's the size of squid process when this occurs ?
> Is the system sized according to squid's mem. needs ?
>
> M.

The size of squid process was about 200mbyte. I recently erased all my
cache dirs with rm -rf and rebuilt with -z option. I have 64mbyte
cache_mem set. The squid process is roughly downloading 4-5gbytes of data
in 24 hours. Normally use 5-8% of the CPU(p4-3.2ghz htt enabled, but I had
the same problem with amd xp2400+ so I think cpu is not related to this
problem)

I have 256 x 256 cache dir's on 120gbyte sata drives.

The system has 2gbyte ram. It wasnt swapping either. (well it had about
1.5gbyte free so)

The kernel has been compiled with the options to increase maximum process
size to 2gbyte. But I guess this is irrelevant too. I just copied these
options from my 4.9 kernel file to 5.x. Also the shared memory settings
were copied directly. (the working settings in 4.9)

Anything else which might give any clue?