Re: [squid-users] new error show up on my cache.log, and segmentation violation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:28:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 Arno.STREULI@ca-indosuez.ch wrote:

> I have a plugin that modify the code for doing some contended checking
> (smartfilter) and it crash with diskd on the latest squid, not on the one I
> use now.

Then you need to contact the Smartfilter support regarding any stability
problems with the modified Squid.

The Squid developers can not support a Squid patched with proprietary
closed-source pathes. The same applies to pretty much any open-source
project, not only Squid.

> To be able to upgrade to a new release I have to uninstall my smartfilter,
> change my cache access to regular ufs, then rebuild squid, re-install my
> smartfilter then re-compile squid and finally install this package, and
> hope I didn't loose half of my smartfilter configuration (what usualy
> happen).

Again, this you need to discuss with the Smartfilter support. I don't see
why this would be needed, but then I can not look into what Smartfilter
does as I am not a Smartfilter customer.

What I can say is that I can not help with any stability problems with
running a Squid version which includes source modifications not publically
licensed as open-source. Supporting such Squid installations is simply
impossible.

In additon time does not allow me to investigate stability problems in
older Squid releases. For this reason if you have stability problems the
very first action from your part is to verify that the same stability
problem exists in the current version.

If you have other needs then commercial Squid support agreements are
available from MARA Systems AB <url:http://www.marasystems.com/>, but the
use of proprietary patches also gives a major problem for any Squid
support agreement as the support agreement can only cover the open-source
components. If there is any doubt on the cause to your problem you will
need to verify that the problem you have exists without the proprietary
patches.

> I supposeI have to do some change to the squid.conf ? due to some change in
> the configuration option right ?

For the problems you indicated there is not really any squid.conf changes
which will make a difference from what i can recall but check the list of
known Squid-2.5 bugs just in case. Also check with the Smartfilter
support.