RE: [squid-users] Squid and wget

From: jose b. chua <jose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:29:29 -0500

How was wget pointed to port 80? That command tells it to connect directly
to that URL, and would bypass Squid completely.

The proper way would be to set up Squid on its default port of 3128 or a
common proxy port like 8080. Then set the proxy variable for wget (something
like http_proxy=http://squidmachine:3128) so wget will request URLs through
Squid.

If you're trying to pre-fetch data, you might also be interested in the
following wget options:
--delete-after will delete the files after download
-r does a recursive crawl
-l for recursion depth
-nd no directory creation, to speed up the fetching

refer to wget's man page for more info.