Re: [squid-users] Re: Some NTLM info which may explain failures

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:31:13 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Daniel Meyer wrote:

> Was there any change regarding NTLM after squid-2.5.STABLE4-20040209?

Yes, if you have challenge reuses enabled.

> I still have problems with that release, users are still getting
> random auth-popups and the cache.log says:
>
> 2004/02/11 07:16:06| authenticateNTLMHandleReply: Error validating user
> via NTLM. Error returned 'BH NetBios error!'

Looks like you are using the old SMB based ntlm_auth helper shipped with
Squid. This helper is fundamentally broken and will always give errors
from time to time. You may be able to limit the amount of errors by
specifying very many login servers, but still there will be problems.

You should be using the Samba-3 ntlm_auth helper. This is proven and
stable technology.

> FATAL: xstrdup: tried to dup a NULL pointer!

This is the challenge reuse thing mentioned above.