Re: [squid-users] Massive problems with https connections to Domino Server (long) -partly solution

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:24:25 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Rainer Traut wrote:

> Ok, here is what we did so that we cannot reproduce the error anymore.
> The images of our application are loaded by javascript and switched from
> visible to invisible and back again.

Ok. Standard onover thing.

> But there seemed to be a mistake so that every image was requested again
> and again by the browser though it should not.

Maybe the responses from your server is not cacheable or similar.

> Just the navigator part had about 50 imgaes loaded on every click.
> We reduced this dramatically so that i cannot reproduce this behaviour
> anymore. I know this does not exlain why i could DOS the server but it
> works now...

Maybe your browser is configured to allow very many connections. If it is
then such storm of requests will cause a lot of connections to be opened,
and with persistent connections enabled in the server these connections
will stay open for a long time.

> Only explanation I have is traffic caused by the client was simply too
> high?!

If the client is working properly then there should only be 2 connections
per client.

The default setting is to only open 2 connections but if you have
installed a download accelerator or similar software which reconfigured
these settings of the browser, or if your browser is buggy, then there may
be very many connections initiated, up to one per image concurrently
requested.