Re: [squid-users] SQUID SETTINGS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:13:51 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Scott Phalen wrote:

> Hello, I am very new to the world of squid.
>
> First question ~ will WCCP V2 be incorporated in Squid 3.0?

Most likely not. There has not been any WCCPv2 patches contributed for
Squid-3.0 yet, and in addition Squid-3.0 is in feature freeze since long
back. But if a WCCPv2 patch is contributed it can be discussed if this can
make it into 3.0.

> What would you suggest the default cache_mem should be? Currently I have it
> set at 1024MB.

I would suggest no more than 32MB. You are already high on the memory
usage with a 100GB cache_dir.

> I am watching my "TOP" screen to see how much CPU and MEM squid is using,
> anyone know what RSS is?

Resitent Set Size, how much of the main memory the application is using.

> It is currently at 149M after squid running for
> 135 minutes. And it appears the memory is climbing pretty fast.

It should climb pretty fast with the above settings. See the Squid FAQ on
memory usage.