Re: [squid-users] Newbie needs help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:34:53 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 mrflora@cwazy.co.uk wrote:

> Hello all, I am a complete squid novice. I have just installed squid on a
> server running Red Hat 7.2. I am not sure I have set up squid.conf
> correctly. When I issue the command "squid -z", I get no errors. When I
> run squid, I get no errors. However, a few seconds later the daemon dies.
> There are no error messages in the log files in /var/log/squid. Does
> anyone have any insight as to what is happening here?

Check if there is any messages in your systems messages file. If there is
fatal errors preventing Squid from starting and even writing to the log
files these will get logged via syslog.

You can also try starting Squid in foreground mode to receive the error
log in the terminal from where you start Squid:

   squid -Nd3

> I am not using a separate cache partition, just a directory /cache. Also,
> "squid -z" initially complained about setting "visible_hostname", so I
> added a line in squid.conf:
>
> visible_hostname <name of server>

Looks good.