[squid-users] Transparent Proxy Trouble

From: <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:21:28 -0500

Hello, Folks -

I have been using squid/squidGuard on our proxy servers here at the library I
work at for about a year and a half, and have been having great success with
them.

I am now trying to set up a transparent proxy for a new wireless network so
that we can let folks bring in there laptops and hook up, but have the content
content filtered (Unfortunately, that is our policy).

I am using a brand new HP Proliant DL140, with a fresh box-stock install of
redhat 9.0. The server has 2 ethernet interfaces, eth0 is outside, eth1 is the
wireless.

I have tried to set up the machine as described in this article:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/TransparentProxy.html

I am able to set up squid no sweat, and when I point a wireless client browser
to port 3128 on the server, squid says that it is fetching pages. When I "un-
point" my browser, I am still able to browse, but squid's access log is silent.

Does anybody have any clues as to where I need to look? Is the above URL a
valid way to do this?

Thanks -

Mark Ehle
Computer Support Librarian