[squid-users] Re: Squid and WPAD

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:14:59 -0500

If you can ping wpad and wpad.kal.kalsec.com you're issue is probably not
in name resolution.

There is a bug in IE 6 (i'm not convinced the bug doesn't exist in ie5
too) in that, when IE submits the http://wpad/proxy.pac request, it
truncates the very last character on the proxy.pac file.
Since I knew after submitting a bug report to MS, they'd ignore it, I
simply implemented a work around for this issue.

Copy your proxy.pac file to proxy.pa

Also, ensure you have a mime-type for your autoconfiguration scripts in
the web server you're storing the scripts on:

application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig dat
application/x-ns/proxy-autoconfig pac
application/x-ns/proxy-autoconfig pa

This seemed to fix a vast majority of our mysterious "can't find proxy"
issues.
However, we still have some interesting issues lurking....

1.) One client's machine can't access an intranet server's web page. It
flat out crashes IE. The machine can get to any other site, both local
and external, just not this one. Turn off the proxy settings, she has no
problems.
2.) Another client's machine can't get to the internet when they type a
url in the address bar of IE. They can get to the web by launching
shortcuts, favorites and ever start -> run ->
http://www.address.com<enter>

I'm still having issues with a few ie 5.5 machines, but those machines
were supposed to be upgraded anyway, so I'm not worrying too much about
issues in ie5.5
I'm not convinced some of our issues are also related to dns. Check your
dns server (or find the person that can check it) to ensure you're not
having any issues on it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim Rainier