Re: [squid-users] Problems with POST using squid V2.5 Stable

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:05:20 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 bob.walker@barclays.co.uk wrote:

> Reading the site is OK. See extract from access log below
>
> 1077279754.746 2 128.1.45.113 TCP_HIT/200 4863 GET
> http://ws1info.companieshouse.gov.uk/images/chhome.gif - NONE/- image/gif

These was all cached by Squid. No access to the Internet was required.

> As soon as I try to post I get a "URL cannot be retrieved"
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> <http://ws1info.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/do_search.cgi>
> The following error was encountered:
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for
> ws1info.companieshouse.gov.uk
> The dnsserver returned:
> No DNS records

POST can not be cached and thus Squid must access the server, and if not
DNS reply is received Squid won't be able to contact the server.

Another case where this error will be given is if you have specified a
cache_peer parent using hostname rather than IP address and the hostname
of the parent can not be resolved.

> acl broken_post url_regex http://ws1info.companieshouse.gov.uk
> broken_posts allow broken_post

broken_posts is not related to this issue.

> I've heard squid can be a bit fussy with POST requests. Can anyone help ????

I cannot say I have heard any indications of any fussines with POST due to
squid in the 7 years I have been working with Squid.

The only "fuzziness" I know about is the parent peer selection where POST
is automatically classified as a "non-hierarchical" request and will not
use parents unless forced by never_direct, but this is 100% intentional by
design.