Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy of OWA/Exchange 2000

From: Eric Kahklen <eric@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:36:13 -0800

Henrik,

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Eric Kahklen wrote:
>

>>#SQUID 3.0
>># I HAD TO PUT THESE IN PLACE DUE TO ERRORS I GOT WHEN TRYING TO START
>>SQUID.
>>#I DIDN'T COMPILE IT MYSELF, I USED THE PACKAGE
>># THAT CAME WITH sUSE 9.0 PROFESSIONAL
>>cache_replacement_policy heap
>>memory_replacement_policy heap
>>

>Are you saying there is a Squid-3.0 package shipping from SuSE, and which
>is only built with support for the heap policies? Gulp... (on both)

Yes there is a 3.0 package shipping with SuSE. Is there an easy way to
determine what policies were built into the 3.0 package from SuSE? I am
not sure what heap is, but if needed I will fix this before going live
with the production server!!! Will this cause the server to not work
properely? or is it just a security/performance issue?

>># THIS IS A TEST TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO A SIMPLE HTML PAGE IN A
>>DIFFERENT IIS DIRECTORY
>>http_port 80 defaultsite=owaserver/squid

So for defaultsite I would need something like
defaultsite=owaserver.com/exchange vs. owaserver/exchange? and these
entries added to the hosts file on the squid server since this points to
the internal exchange server?? Also, these names should be different
than the FQDN that hits the squid box? correct?

>defaultsite= only accepts a server name. If you need to rewrite the
>URL-path of the request you should use a redirector. If you can it is
>strongly adviced to stay away from such rewrites, and I very much doubt
>that OWA will accept it without loud complains and many failures..
>
>This directive works together with the vhost option to define the server
>name.

vhost?? is this /etc/hosts? I haven't seen any reference in my research
thus far on vhost, but I may just be to much of a novice I suppose. The
only thing I see similar is the visible_hostname directive.

>with vhost defaultsite only specifies the default server name in case the
>client did not specify a Host: header.
>
>without the vhost directive it specifies the server name.
>

>># AS I UNDERSTAND IT, THIS IS WHAT REPLACED THE HTTPD_ACCEL* REFERENCES
>>https_port 443 cert=/etc/squid/key-cert.pem defaultsite=owaserver/exchange
>>cache_peer owaserver parent 80 0 proxy-only front-end-https=on login=pass
>>

>You need the originserver option there as well to tell to Squid that the
>owaserver is a origin server, not a proxy server.

So would I just add the option "originserver" like this??

cache_peer owaserver parent 80 0 proxy-only originserver front-end-https=on login=pass

I had a hard time finding what this did exactly and the sample config I was sent kept complaining about it.

Thank again for your time Henrik!!

Eric