Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy of OWA/Exchange 2000

From: Eric Kahklen <eric@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:15:40 -0800

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Eric Kahklen wrote:
>

>>Yes there is a 3.0 package shipping with SuSE.
>>

>You seem to be right there.. not good.
>
>That version is a very early beta release and not at all suitable for
>production use, at least not according to the Squid developers.
>

>>Is there an easy way to determine what policies were built into the 3.0
>>package from SuSE? I am not sure what heap is, but if needed I will fix
>>this before going live with the production server!!! Will this cause
>>the server to not work properely? or is it just a security/performance
>>issue?
>>

>To find what options a Squid-2.5 or later is compiled with all you need to
>do is to run "squid -v". This will also tell you the exact version of
>Squid used.

AGAIN!! Thanks for the help! I think I may have it working (knock on
wood). From the Squid website they show Squid 3.0Pre3 as the latest
for testing with the Daily auto-generated release. Can I just patch my
3.0Pre3 version? or downloaded the Daily auto-generated release? Is the
later more stable/secure??

>>So for defaultsite I would need something like
>>defaultsite=owaserver.com/exchange vs. owaserver/exchange? and these
>>entries added to the hosts file on the squid server since this points to
>>the internal exchange server?? Also, these names should be different
>>than the FQDN that hits the squid box? correct?
>>

>defaultside SHOULD be the official FQDN by which the clients requests this
>OWA service, and MUST NOT include a path.

I have these two likes which makes it work:

#I am using my FQDN and I point my browsers to the FQDN with the added
path (exchange)
https_port 443 cert=/etc/squid/key-cert.pem defaultsite=mydomain.org

#This does not include "originserver" since it won't work unless I take
it out.
cache_peer 10.0.0.10 parent 80 0 proxy-only no-query no-digest
front-end-https=on login=pass

The "originserver" option won't work. Is this a bad thing??

>>vhost?? is this /etc/hosts? I haven't seen any reference in my research
>>thus far on vhost, but I may just be to much of a novice I suppose. The
>>only thing I see similar is the visible_hostname directive.
>>

>It is a http(s)_port option, documented in the squid.conf documentation
>for the not yet released Squid-3.0 release.
>

>>So would I just add the option "originserver" like this??
>>
>>cache_peer owaserver parent 80 0 proxy-only originserver front-end-https=on login=pass
>>

>Yes.
>

>>I had a hard time finding what this did exactly and the sample config I was sent kept complaining about it.
>>

>>From the squid.conf documentation from the upcoming Squid-3.0 release:
>
>cache_peer ...
>
> 'originserver' causes this parent peer to be contacted as
> a origin server. Meant to be used in accelerator setups.

I didn't seem to need the vhost option either. Again would this be a
problem down the line??

Thanks again!! I hope to do a "How to for using Squid with OWA servers"
for newbies like me so hopefully this will help reduce all these type of
questions for you guru types on the list :)

Eric