Re: users-authentication using certificate?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:28:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Toan NQ wrote:

> I'm using squid for users-authentication by
> username/password. Can I using certificate for
> users-authentication, does squid have support this?

This is supported in Squid-3.0 for accelerator type setups using the
https_port directive and the certificate related acls.

Actually it is even supported for proxy operation using https_port, but to
our knowledge there is no browsers supporting the use of SSL connections
to the proxy. The use of SSL is a requirement for certificate based
authentication as certificates is a property of SSL, so until there is
browsers implementing SSL to proxies such authentication is not possible
for proxied Internet requests.