Re: [squid-users] how to know how much data was sent

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:40:53 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Yedidia Klein wrote:

> thanks, the Content-Legth will indicate me the size of uploaded data.
> I'll just miss the headers that are probably small.
> right ?

It depends on how accurate you need the information to be and for what
purpose.

Using the Content-Length request header will give you an exact figure of
how much data was uploaded. (warning: Don't confuse this with the
Content-Length reply header..)

Using the complete request size including header will give you information
on how much the upstream link is used as part of the users web access for
all traffic, including uploads.

The headers are not insignificant in normal web traffic, but is also not
part of the data uploaded but part of the HTTP protocol. For larger
requests the header information is insignificant.