Re: [squid-users] squid and SSH

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:43:21 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > If your ISP only gives you HTTP access then that is what you have, as your
> > ISP then does not allow you to use SSH or other Internet services.
>
> OK, therefore I would like to take advantage of HTTP to "encapsulate"
> SSH into it... Can you help?

There is two options

a) IF your ISPs HTTP proxy has poor access controls then you may be able
to abuse the CONNECT method of the proxy to CONNECT to port 22.

b) If you have control over a server on the outside of the ISP you can use
one of the XXX-over-HTTP tunneling methods to provide full bi-directional
Internet access over the HTTP proxy.

I will not help you further on any of the approaches as I strongly dislike
this type of abuse of HTTP proxies and is more interesting in finding ways
to make sure these types of activities is not possible via HTTP proxies.
You better talk to your ISP to see if they have some better means of
accessing SSH or other non-HTTP services such as POP3, IMAP, IRC etc.