Re: [squid-users] Problem Starting Squid

From: Mihai BUHA <owlman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:25:07 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, adrian.wells wrote:

> >Means '.' was not in your current path.
>
> I don't understand. I set the path via cd /usr/local/squid/sbin

No, you did not set $PATH, you only changed the current/working
directory.

When you type a command, it is looked for in the directories from
$PATH; if . (the working directory) exists in $PATH (which is the
wrong thing) then the command will also be looked in the working
directory. This is different from DOS where the command is first
looked in . and then in $PATH.

Just grab the nearest "Unix/Linux for dummies" manual for this
stuff.

Mihai Buha