Re: [squid-users] authentication with groups

From: Doug Kite <dkite@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:56:03 -0500

I cannot get the unix group helper to work. I added the following lines to
squid.conf:

external_acl_type unix_group %LOGIN /usr/lib/squid/squid_unix_group -p
acl full_access external unix_group web
http_access allow full_access

When I try to browse from a client, it does not prompt me for a username or
password, and goes directly to a page that says:
error cache access denied
you are not currently allowed to request ... until you have authenticated
yourself.

The access.log just logs a "denied" message.

There are 5 squid_unix_group processes running. No errors in syslog.

The user exists and is in the group.

What else am I missing? I am running the squid package from Debian (sarge),
version 2.5.STABLE4.

Thanks for any help,
Doug

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Doug Kite wrote:

> I have read some about LDAP auth with groups, but if I have no LDAP server
at
> present, is there an easier way? Can you use unix /etc/group ?

Yes, there is a UNIX group helper as well (unix_group)

> Or would setting up an ldap server on the same box as squid be better?

Using a directory service for user account is generally recommended, but
it obviously depends on your environment.