[squid-users] Dynamic upstream proxy?

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:37:31 +0000

Hi all,

I use Squid to perform local caching in many of the schools I support. I've
always been able to point the upstream proxy settings in Squid to our County
Councils proxies and this has worked fine.

Local caches installed by myself have not been part of our Counties
strategy, and they would rather schools purchased £3500 ISA Server
hardware/software.

County have now dictated that all browsers which access the Internet via a
County Council connection must use a proxy.pac file to gain their internet
settings. The use of a local cache such as Squid will no longer be
supported, and apparently I will be unable to point Squid at the upstream
proxy IP and port, as this will be be unavailable. Not quite sure how this
will work though, as I see no reason why I can't continue to to point Squid
boxes at the proxy IP and port which would officially be setup on local
computers via the proxy.pac file.

I'm fairly confident that dynamic upstream proxy configuration within Squid
is not only impossible, but would go against how caching works and is
configured in general. Can anyone confirm that dynamic upstream proxy
settings are not supported by Squid (or any other cache!)?

Regards,

Chris

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess