Re: [squid-users] Evaluating SQUID as a Reverse Proxy for a large web site

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:28:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, kapil khanna wrote:

> I have been evaluating SQUID to deploy in front of a large web site to cache
> all static content (Images, JS Files, CSS Files, HTML files etc...) for the
> web site. I used JMeter as a load testing tool to evaluate the scalability
> of SQUID. This is my current config:-
> cache_mem - 256MB
> disk cache - 10MB.
> I purposely have a very low disk cache so that i can get most out of
> in-memory caching of static content. I also set content expiry (if not set)
> for images, JSP files etc to
> 14400 80% 43200

You probably should run without any disk cache at all in this
configuration. If not Squid will not actually be able to use all that
cache_mem..

> Why is that the Web application scales better than SQUID? The one thing
> that stands out is that SQUID is running as one process one thread,
> whereas the web site is multithreaded.

What kind of web server are you using?

The benefits of using a cache infront of the web server is mostly seen if
the web server can not handle very many concurrent connections. The cache
then helps both by offloading the static content any by reusing the same
persistent connections for multiple clients.