Re: [squid-users] swap.state and perl unpack question

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:18:20 -0700

Hello,

I got the unpacking fixed!

> ($metaop,$metapad,$metafilenum,$metatimestamp,$metalastref,$metaexpires,$metalastmod,
> $metafilesz,$metarefcount,$metaflags,$metakey) = unpack $binary_layout,
> $record;

I had my unpack incorrect, it should be

($metaop,$metafilenum,$metatimestamp,$metalastref,$metaexpires,$metalastmod,
$metafilesz,$metarefcount,$metaflags,$metakey) = unpack $binary_layout,
$record;

and then I get for output:
<snip>
binary_layout: A1 x3 i l l l l l s s A16
recordlen: 48
metaop: ^A
metafilenum: 0000001B
metatimestamp: 1076866068
metalastref: 1076866068
metaexpires: -1
metalastmod: 1053759007
metafilesz: 3179
metarefcount: 1
<snip>

I am not handling the 'op' field correctly, but I will work on that
later.

But the questions about swap.log and swap.state are still open.

> > Most if not all of this information is also logged in swap.log where you
> > also have access to the URL etc, provided it's known by Squid at the
> > time.
>
> I would rather use the swap.state data since it has more information,
> but I looked at using swap.log.
>
> I didn't have the cache_swap_log option set in squid.conf, but I turned
> it on and pointed to /usr/local/squid/var/logs/swap.log
>
> I restarted (not reloaded) squid and swap.log.00 got created. When it
> first got created, it had the same size as my swap.state file, but as
> soon as I went to some sites not cached, the swap.log file updated, but
> the swap.state file remained unchanged (both size and timestamp). Are
> swap.log and swap.state mutually exclusive?
>
> Now, I restarted squid again, and still the swap.state file remained
> unchanged. So it appears that if I have swap.log enabled, swap.state is
> not updated, right? If not, how/when is swap.state updated?
>
> Also, what is the binary layout for the swap.log?

Thanks,

Murrah Boswell