Re: [squid-users] Granular Vary Header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:43:21 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, wee kah wrote:

> Like to know if squid provides a much finer support
> for the http vary header?
>
> For example, if i have a response header with
> "cookie: userid=xxxxx, usergp=yyyy", can squid cache
> base only on the cookie.usergp and not
> cookie.userid?

No, as there to my knowledge is no Vary header syntax for specifying which
cookie the response entity varies based on, so all that the origin web
serer can say is that the response varies on cookies, not which. It is
very hard for Squid to guess what to look for.

However, if you are in an accelerator context then there should be no
problem extending the X-Accelerator-Vary header with a custom syntax for
this purpose. The amount of modifications needed to Squid to support
this would be very small.