[squid-users] URGENT: Slowness when using SSL ...

From: Justin Hennessy <jhennessy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:54:39 +1030

Hi All,

We are currently under going a website revamp in my organisation. We
are using an online content management program called unity (the name
isn't really important). This system uses SSL to encrypt the information
that we are uploading to the website.

My understanding is that SSL is not cached by squid so (in theory) it
should not effect it at all.

My problem is that I have people who are trying to do updates to our
new site (the launch date is in 2 weeks) and we are experiencing MASSIVE
slowness when connecting using SSL. We have tried not using SSL and the
system seems to run alot better. The only thing that I haven't tested
yet is using SSL and letting the computers that need access to it go
directly out to the internet (which is not a good fix), I should have
this tested by this afternoon.

Has anyone experienced anything like this (or similar) or maybe could
point me in the direct of some doco that show me how to tweak the way
squid handles SSL.

Much appreciate any help that you can all offer,

Justin Hennessy RHCT MCSE
Network and Systems Administrator
City of Mitcham

Quote: "It could be terminal, if I meet the Lone Sniper hiding behind
his grassy
knoll."