Re: [squid-users] ICP, HTCP or Digests?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:50:04 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Gerard Eviston wrote:

> I'm looking to peer Squid caches at two sites seperated by a high-speed, low
> latency link.

Then ICP peering is a quite good fit.

Digest also works, but does not provide as good hit ratio. But on the
other hand digest is faster as there is no latency overhead.

> Should I use ICP, HTCP, or Cache Digests?

I would use ICP. Maybe together with cache digests if one wants to be
fancy but as it can be expecte the two are mostly identical over time
there most likely will be a very log digest hit ratio..

HTCP does not provide any benefits for Squid compared to ICP. The only
reason why HTCP currently exists in Squid is as a reference implementation
for the HTCP protocol.

In future when the capabilities of Squid becomes more advanced for dynamic
caching then HTCP may gain importance, but it is yet unclear.