Re: [squid-users] Problematic Clients

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:35:23 -0500

Sorry for the late reply. The clients are WindowsNT and Windows2k
machines and I've figured out the problem.

My first recommendation to you, is to copy wpad.dat to wpad.da and
proxy.pac and proxy.pa
There's a bug in IE that truncates the last character of the proxy script.

To fix this particular issue, I adjusted my autoconfigure script. Before,
it was doing 6 tests, to ensure the requesting client was local to the
network. After figuring out that the 6 tests were redundant (if the
clients can get to the proxy config script, we know the client is local to
the network) I stripped down the script to only do one test. That test is
basically if the requesting site is an internet site, proxy it, if not,
send it directly.

This was to avoid having local http requests proxied. Here is my
autoconfigure script:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
        {
          if (isPlainHostName(host) || dnsDomainIs(host,
"kal.kalsec.com"))
              return "DIRECT";
          else
              return "PROXY 172.24.0.7:8000";
        }

kal.kalsec.com is our local domain.

Let me know if this helps, hopefully I'll be more responsive next time.
:-)

Regards,

Tim Rainier

Peter Persson <peter.persson@hogia.se>