Re: [squid-users] WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors (on RH 9.0 Squid2.5.Stable5)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:27:23 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Awie wrote:

> Where should I put the command "ulimit -SHn 2048"? In rc.local or
> /root/.bashrc?

Somewhere before where Squid is started, ensuring that the new ulimit is
active when Squid is started.

In addition you need this setting before you compile Squid.

/root/.bashrc is not such place. This only changes the ulimit on
interactive login as root.

I usually place this in the boot script that starts Squid, just before
Squid is started.

In addition I change the hard limit for all interactive users in
/etc/security/limits.conf but leaving the soft limit at its default,
allowing all users raise their limit at any time.

It is not wise to change the system wide soft limit. Most if not all
applications assumes the limit <= 1024.

> I tried to put in rc.local, but my RH9 could not boot with the such setting
> and still display 1024 of open file when I typed ulimit -a. But cache.log
> reported there is 2048 of file descriptors.

This is ok.

> If I put in /root/.bashrc, the RH9 recognize open file 2048 but cache.log
> reported only 1024 of file descriptors.

This is not.