[squid-users] always/never_direct....

From: Chris Knipe <savage@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:24:47 +0200

Lo all,

I seem to not understand always_direct / never_direct properly....

acl local src 66.18.x.x/29
cache_peer a.a.a.a parent 3128 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
round-robin
cache_peer b.b.b.b parent 3128 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
round-robin
cache_peer c.c.c.c parent 3128 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
round-robin
always_direct allow local
never_direct allow all

The basic idea is that everything is fetched from the parent cache, EXCEPT
for those (destination) ip addresses specified in local... EVERYTHING else,
gets fetched from the parent caches provided squid does not have it cached
locally already (different between sibling and parent cache, right?)... The
clients are in 192.168.1.0/24 accessing squid transparently... So, what's
wrong with this picture... I'm pretty sure I am missing something in the
never/always_direct, but I'm not sure what.

On another note, I average about a 40% hit rate at the moment... With allot
of refresh_patterns, and only a mere 512MB proxy dir.... Would adding
another 1GB or so for squid make any significant changes to the hit rate??
And, whilst I know it prob wont be recommended, will a cache_dir operate
successfully on a NFS Mount??

Regards,
Chris.