[squid-users] vary:* header and mod_gzip

From: <alpheus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:50:07 +0100 (MET)

hi, i am using squid 2.5S4.
as a webserver, i am using apache 1.3.29 together with mod_gzip (newest
version).

if my webserver responds with a vary:* header, this reply is cached by
squid, and all subsequent request, with accept-encoding:gzip header or not,
are
cached until i refresh the object.

i thought i had read, that squid will NOT cache objects with vary:* header,
but in my configuration it does.
i verify this with a request like
echo -e "GET /index.html HTTP/1.0\naccept-encoding:gzip\n\n" | netcat proxy
80
and see a proxy hit together with vary:*.

do i understand something wrong???

what does confuse me even more is that once the compressed object is cached,
even a request like
echo -e "GET /index.html HTTP/1.0\n\n" | netcat proxy 80
returns the compressed object!!! although I did not include an
accept-encoding: gzip header.

any ideas? thx in advance,
alp