[squid-users] Problem with password authentication in 2.5

From: <sdavy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:58:06 +0100

and what happens if you try another helper than ncsa_auth?

---
Stéphane Davy - Consultant Alcôve

                      Niall  O Broin
                      <niall@linux.ie>          Pour :   squid-users@squid-cache.org
                                                cc :
                      19/03/2004 14:25          Objet :  [squid-users] Re: Réf. : [squid-users] Problem with password authentication in 2.5

On Friday 19 March 2004, sdavy@bics.fr wrote:
>- does the /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth program exist?
yes
>- does the /etc/squid.passwd password file exist?
yes
>- what is the output of cache.log?
Now that is interesting. I had looked at that, and what I saw was
2004/03/19 10:10:45| Starting Squid Cache version 2.5.STABLE4 . . .
2004/03/19 10:10:45| Process ID 29001
2004/03/19 10:10:45| With 1024 file descriptors available
2004/03/19 10:10:45| DNS Socket created at 0.0.0.0, port 1156, FD 5
2004/03/19 10:10:45| Adding nameserver w.x.y.z from /etc/resolv.conf
2004/03/19 10:10:45| Adding nameserver w.x.y.z from /etc/resolv.conf
2004/03/19 10:10:45| Adding nameserver w.x.y.z from /etc/resolv.conf
2004/03/19 10:10:45| helperOpenServers: Starting 5 'ncsa_auth' processes
when I had the auth_ lines.
Until now, I hadn't looked at the cache.log output when it was working
(well, why would I :-) ). But I've just looked at it now and after the
"Adding nameserver" lines, there is a whole bunch of other lines
describing the config of the server (which of course I now remember
seeing before, but I didn't notice their absence this time).
>It seems that your squid isn't started, may be because the ncsa_auth
>file was missing.
No, the file isn't missing, and squid IS starting (at least, there are
one or two processes) but it seems the main process gets stuck somehow
starting ncsa_auth, because I get no more messages in cache.log, and
there are no ncsa_auth processes. But yet if I simply do
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid.passwd
it works just fine - sits there reading lines from STDIN and if it find
a username password pair match from /etc/squid.passwd outputs OK,
otherwise outputs ERR (note that that works as root and as the squid
user). So ncsa_auth and that password file are working together OK, but
squid is not happily launching them. Progress, and merci Stéphane, in
that I know now more precisely what's happening, but I still don't know
why.
--
Niall