Re: [squid-users] Squid and controlling access to internet in a classroom

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:02:11 +0000

This depends on loads of variables. If you use DHCP and have dynamic IP
addressing then you can't really control access via station IP address since
a room of PC's could never be guaranteed to have the same group of IP's all
the time (unless you use unlimited lease times).

You could possibly use MAC address limiting, as this should be static for
each machine. Using this or IP address based 'rooms' would work if IP's are
static, but you'd need to manually go round each machine and catalogue IP
address etc.

Depending on your type of network (eg NT domain, 2000 domain etc) you could
look into either nt authentication helpers for username based control or
possibly look into LDAP integration into the Active Directory which I
believe may allow room/user based control providing you have used the AD to
handle computer locations etc.

There are commercial products which may help out here though, along with one
possible free one:

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/cx2
http://www.rm.com and look up SmartCache 2
http://www.censornet.com

All offer way more than simply caching and room/user/computer based access
control, and at least the first two offerings are directly aimed at
educational establishments.

hth

Regards,

Chris