Re: [squid-users] Squid caching only certain sites

From: Niall O Broin <niall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:20:41 +0000

On Sunday 21 March 2004, hno@squid-cache.org (Henrik Nordstrom) wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Niall O Broin wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, most browsers only allow you to say "Don't proxy these
>> sites" rather than "Only proxy these sites".
>
>Actually most browsers allows for very detailed proxy settings by using
>pac scripts..

Hmm - must take a look at that - essentially I'll need to be able to say "Use
this proxy for a.b.c, d.e.f & x.y.z otherwise go direct" - can a pac script
set that up for commonly used browsers?

>What you can do is to deny the request with a error message telling the
>user that his proxy settings is not suitable.

Yes, but that won't fly - I can't ask the users to turn off their proxy when
they want to go to other sites.

>There is no code in HTTP where the proxy can tell the browser to go direct
>(or to use another proxy).

I didn't think there was, unfortunately.

Regards,

Niall

P.S. Henrik copies this reply to me and the list, but yet I got three copies
of it. This has happened to me before - any ideas?