[squid-users] what visible_hostname/unique_hostname are used?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:25:53 +0100

Hello,

I am setting a pool of squid servers that should be neighbours to each
other.

I haven't set up visible_hostname not unique_hostname - by documentation
squid should get them from current hostname.

Looking at src/tools.c, squid looks at first IP it is listening to, does
reverse lookup on it and uses that for both parameters.

However, I am not able to get where and how did squid get it's name.

Turning on debug_options 50,9 didn't help (I don't see the hostname in
log) even if function getMyHostname (src/tools.c) calls debug:

            debug(50, 4) ("getMyHostname: resolved %s to '%s'\n",
                inet_ntoa(Config.Sockaddr.http->s.sin_addr),
                host);

        debug(50, 6) ("getMyHostname: '%s' resolved into '%s'\n",
            host, h->h_name);

what am I missing? How can I get hat does squid think about its name?

could this be the problem?

<CUT>
http_port proxy.nextra.sk:3128
</CUT>

I wanted to have _the same_ config on all servers, so I'd define IP
addresses in /etc/hosts file. However, doing reverse lookup of the IP
points to different name (proxy?.nextra.sk - even via /etc/hosts), so
GetMyHostname shouldn't return proxy.nextra.sk, should it?

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759