Re: [squid-users] blocking certain filetypes more intelligent?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:59:48 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 fra.nospam.nk@gmx.de wrote:

> ICAP i don't know, but how exactly does squid handle downloads?
> Is it like "get object in cache, when finished pass on" or more like
> "get object in cache and simultaneously pass on"?

simultaneously. Would not work to wait for it to first be downloaded.

> Would there be a chance to incooperate another acl before an object is
> passed to the client, or are acls only effective in the moment the
> request/reply hits squid?

http_access is when the request hits Squid.

http_reply_access is when the reply headers have been seen by squid, just
before Squid starts forwarding the reply to the client.

> Of course there would also be the matter of the max
> cache object size, since i guess noone really wants the cache to
> get filled up with big objects ;-) I wonder how virus gateways deal
> with this.

Virus scanners are very poor at this, due to the nature of HTTP.