Re: [squid-users] Looking for good log analysis package

From: usman fool <usman_fool@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:47:50 +0000

>E Roberts <eroberts-squid@omninet-solutions.com>
>03/26/2004 12:25 PM
>
> To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
> cc:
> Subject: [squid-users] Looking for good log analysis
>package
>

>I have been going one by one though each package I can find to give me the
>
>status of my squid server. So far I've been disapointed. The best
>information I can get is from SCALAR (http://scalar.risk.az/), but it
>doesn't save the data and only good for one run, plus the lack of HTML
>output (not a biggy though).
>
>The main information I want, 'is the proxy actualying saving me
>bandwidth?'. I don't care who's done what or how much bandwidth they are
>using, I'm not looking to spy on my customers.
>
>So my question is, does anyone know of a good package that will keep the
>data from old runs and give me data like the following:
>
> In Traffic: 1.177 GB
> Out Traffic: 1.301 GB
> ------------------------------------
> Saved Traffic: 127.726 MB 9.58 %
>
>It would be nice to have the output be HTML and with some pretty pictures
>and all, but I'm more interested in knowing the above data over the course
>
>of using squid.
>
>Regards

first of all this is not the total bandwidth saved by squid.thats the total
bandwidth saved by TCP_HIT and TCP_REFRESH_HIT
some bandwidth is also saved by TCP_IMS_HIT and in that case squid does not
return objects to client , client have them already but it follows
squid.(your refresh_pattern settings play an important role).
so no load on bandwidth but its only due to squid.

so a simple traffic analysis of squid box interfaces does not give u correct
results.
u must use any from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/

i like
1.http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/NLANR/ (perl scripts)
2.calamaris
2.sarg
3.and squid graph (its creates graph but its resource hungry)

but also consider using mrtg to monitor squid at runtime.

regards
usman.