Re: [squid-users] authenticate squid by novell eDirectory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:03:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 SMORRIS@UP.COM wrote:

> In this implementation however, when the user opens the browser, they will
> be prompted with a login box, no?

Yes.

> Is there a way to make this happen behind
> the scenes, as with NTLM (using LDAP and eDirectory)?

No. For this you need to use a NTLM backend, such as the NT Domain
integration for NDS.

You can not use LDAP as backend for NTLM authentication.

The closest you can get is to allow saving of the proxy password in the
browser. This prevents the user from having to retype the login+password
more than once, and in modern MSIE versions the saved password it is
stored reasonably secure (I thin.. not an MSIE expert).

The same can not be recommended for browsers not integrated with the OS
secure store.