Re: [squid-users] Cache Size Limitation

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:42:30 -0500

Well, the cache_mem thing sounds interesting. I'm going to try 512MB to
start with.
My filesystem isn't close to 90% full. Only about 6 gigs being using in
total (including the cache).

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Regards,

Tim

Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
03/30/2004 03:22 AM

        To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [squid-users] Cache Size Limitation

On 29.03 10:36, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> 32-bit Architecture. What would you suggest cache_mem to be on a system

> with 1 gig of ram?

Ah! if you only have 1 gig of RAM, you really shouldn't set cache_mem to
more... all of squid data should be in memory. As long as squid and system
consume some memory even w/o squid cache, I'd set it to 512MB.
Maybe then, if you have no other services running, and memory usage shows
free memory, I'd grow it up to ~768MB

> What would you suggest as a maximum_object_size ??

my experiences (watching logs and trying to find the biggest file that was
fetched more than once) showed 20MB. I have 30GB spool; in your case it
could be lower - I'd start with 20MB and after a week or two I'd check the
same

> The filesystem is 40gig.
> What do you mean by, "if the filesystem usage gets too big" ??

If filesystem is filled over 90%, write operations with it start take too
much of CPU time and disk i/o.

Spam is for losers who can't get business any other way.