Re: [squid-users] My Squid Hardware -- Any Tips/Advice Before It's Commissioned

From: Graham Nicholls <graham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:55:30 +0100

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 15:08, Peter Albrecht wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Wednesday 31 March 2004 15:05, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > o SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional
> > o Kernel 2.4.20

> > generally, are there any tips anyone can advise
> > regarding the best i can get out of my
> > hardware/software configuration..?.. it's been a while
> > since i've built an enterprise squid box, and i want
> > to do it right the first time... pretty much excited
> > and looking forward to it..
>
> SUSE 8.2 is definitely _not_ the OS of choice for running a server in a
> corporate environment.
OTOH, it is stable & if you don't want support from SuSE, its fine.
> If you need any support for this machine, you should
> run SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 8 (which is based on SUSE LINUX 8.1). Only
> for this OS SUSE LINUX will provide any support and maintenance for more
> than about two years (which is the normal lifetime for the SUSE LINUX 8.x,
> 9.x). SLES 8 is supported for at least five years from General Availability
> of the product (which means support and maintenance will be available until
> 2007).
I have to say this looks like a blatant commercial for the more expensive
SLES, where the cheaper product (I'd use 9.0) is fine. I have corporate
servers running every release of SuSE Linux from 7.0 onwards - and have used
5.3 (IIRC) for the same.

Graham

--
Rock Computer Consultancy
Unix, Linux, C, TCP/IP, Python, Perl, etc.