Re: [squid-users] My Squid Hardware -- Any Tips/Advice Before It's Commissioned

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:29:37 +0100 (BST)

 --- trainier@kalsec.com wrote: > I've been running
SuSE 7.3 for 4 years now. I've,
> not once, had to
> contact SuSE for support on their operating system.
> There's so much
> support and documentation in other places (web,
> usenet, irc) I haven't
> bothered with support from SuSE.

i agree.. i don't think it boils down to SuSE Linux
alone, but also many of the Linux distros around..
Google, mailing lists (like this one) and all sorts of
other internet resources are all the support a
dedicated UNIX/Linux user requires to get by..

besides, most times users need support for the
packages that run on Linux, which, a good chunk of
time, the distribution vendor (vendor S, R, D, M
e.t.c.) doesn't really own.. in the end, users end up
subscribing to the software maker's mailing list,
which is good for everyone.. :)..

> SuSE does tend to
> drop support on their
> operating system. The only REAL benefit I've missed
> out on, is SuSE's
> sophisticated automated patch update process.

yes, i think u r referring to YoU (YaST Online
Update).. i think it began with 7.3, but mostly
command line, and quite shifty.. it's a dream on 8.2
Pro.. run it ever so often, keeps the system up to
scratch..

> simply patch software
> when i need to. If there's patches required on the
> OS, it's either
> directed at the kernel, or the software running on
> the OS.

yes, used to do this prior to YoU.. was very hectic
(but had to be done).. YoU makes life way easier,
although i wish YoU could be developed so u upgrade
only one server in your farm, and the rest can look to
that server for the upgrades, rather than all of them
trying to contact SuSE's FTP service.. but i digress,
sorry...

> I've been dramatically impressed with the SuSE
> operating system.

me too...

> I might
> suggest that you purchase a license for Norton
> Ghost. I use it for my
> test machine so I can easily 'rebuild' the box after
> I've finished
> testing.

i see..

> if you're not familiar with linux support on IRC,
> I'd be glad to fill you
> in. It's a very valuable and free resource.

i am.. SuSE actually do have a room on IRC that i tend
to frequent..

Regards,

Mark.

WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe Awards www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes