Re: [squid-users] purge from cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:09:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Henrik Steffen wrote:

> after having started with a clean cache on February, 14th
> my cache-folder has meanwhile increased to a size of
> 68 GB, which makes 96 % of the available space on that
> partition.

How large is your cache_dir?

> However, there are still objects as e.g.
> ~/cache/01/01/00100040 which has been saved on March, 8th
> and where the header within the cache-object says:
>
> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:41:59 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)
> Cache-Control: max-age=1800
> Expires: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:11:59 GMT
>
> Now I wonder: Why hasn't this object been purged by squid yet?

Most likely this object has been revalidated with the origin server and
found to still be fresh.

> Squid just consumes more and more diskspace, until 100 % is full,
> and then crashes. Shouldn't squid be able to purge these files
> automatically after expiration time?

Squid is supposed to keep your cache_dir at the configured size.

Most often this type of problem is due to not have configured log
rotation, causing Squid to use wast amount of space for logs (including
swap.state).

> What I do now, is to start with a clean cache after 40-50 days.
> The cachedir then immediately increases by 2-3 GB every day.
>
> But that's not the way it is supposed to work, is it?

Nope.

> What am I doing wrong?

Don't know.

Please look into

   a) Your cache_dir configuration

   b) What inside your cache_dir is using this much space, if possible.

   c) Version of Squid used.