RE: [squid-users] Cache Size Limitation

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:31:47 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Hermann Strassner wrote:

> > cache_mem 4048 MB
>
> This is not the size of the cache in total, it is only the size of the
> cache in memory. Do you have enough memory to allow for 4048 MB cache
> mem, and the mem for the OS, and the mem for the squid process and the
> mem for the index of the cache files on disk?
>
> I have not seen any cache_dir lines in your config, so i assume you use
> the default of 100 MB.
>
> Normaly you should use a big disk cache size (cache_dir) and a small mem
> cache size (cache_mem) not bigger than 8 MB.

Note also that unless you are on a 64bit architecture an individual
process in linux can't malloc more than 3GB of ram. If you have more than
4GB of ram on a intel32 bit architecture you're going to take an order of
3%-6% performance hit due to page flipping. all if this is academic if you
a sparc64,alpha, opteron, ppc64 or itanium but you may not.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu