Re: [squid-users] Local cache digest enabled; rebuild/rewrite every 3600/3600 sec

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:01:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 stevebayer@cox.net wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the Local Cache digest is?

The cache digests of the objects in your cache, given out to other cache
digest peers allowing them to quickly determine if an object is in your
cache.

> My setting are rebuild/rewrite every 3600/3600 sec. Are these the
> appropriate settings? Where can I change them?

Sounds reasonable, but there is not much research into how to optimally
tune cache digests updates. As always there is tradeoffs between CPU &
network usage and hit ratio in the peering relation..

All the cache digest parameters (and their documentation) are found in
squid.conf as directives starting with "digest_". More information on
what cache digests is can be found in the Squid FAQ Chapter 16 Cache
Digests <url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-16.html> and a lot of
background technical information can be found in the Cache Digests
technical report by Alex Rousskov & Duane Wessels
<http://www.life-gone-hazy.com/writings/>