Re: [squid-users] FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 02:07:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, unixware wrote:

> These are Recieve only Satelite links used for web
> traffic only

Ok. Relatively high latency then I suppose.. has some impact on
performance as more connections is needed for the same request rate.

> > Try "downgrading" to a standard Linux-2.4 kernel.
>
> i will build standard kernel .RH 9 default kernel load
> many unnessary modules like usb-ohci usbcore . and
> device drivers are load as modules . i will try to
> build them statically in to kernel i think this aslo
> speed up access to device . improve overall
> performance.

The problem is not so much the extra modules but the RH 9 kernel has had
major brain surgery applied. What RH 9 calls "2.4" is closer to "2.6" than
"2.4" but then again very different.. I have had very conflicting reports
wrt Squid performance on the RH 9 kernels.. (some say it is OK, some say
performace is much worse for Squid than standard kernels).

Note: If/when you use a standard kernel it is higly recommended to run
without swap. The standard kernel VM has some bad habits of pushing large
applications like Squid out in swap only because there is disk I/O...

> i usually use "free -m" to see my machine not swaping
> too much

This does not tell you how the machine behaves now, only what it has
done.. vmstat gives much better output for determining what is going on
right now.