Re: [squid-users] ftp file sizes, squid, large file sizes, and listings--minor problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:53:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 05.04 18:36, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > It is possible to have a mix where 32-bit applications is compiled for
> > 64-bit file I/O.
> >
> > The fact that Squid formats the filesize wrongly in FTP listings is just a
> > cosmetic issue and on its own does not have any bad effects (other than
> > user confusion), but Squid is also limited by a 2GB file size limitation
> > so fixing the FTP listing output won't fix the whole problem.
>
> isn't there any plan to enable largefiles on 32-bit systems in squid-2.5?

You can already do so knowing your OS/compiler, but it is not very visible
in 2.5 as this has not received much if any testing and there may well be
many issues in file size calculation.

In Squid-3.0 there will be a experimental configure option to enable 64
bit file I/O on the 32 bit systems we know how to, but is still considered
experimental until verified what happens on files >2GB in different
conditions.

Squid does quite many calculations on file size, and all of these needs to
be verified to use size_t (or ssize_t) and never typecast explicitly or
implicitly to any of the C/C++ base types.