[squid-users] 401.2 Authentication Error

From: Ed Rodgers <goose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:32:55 -0400

I got Squid 2.5 STABLE5 up and running... and it runs well...
except I have problems when trying to access 1 site that is
business critical.
I think it has something to do with the fact that the site it is
accessing is an IIS site that allows no anonymous access, and
uses "integrated windows authentication" as it's only
authentication.
I've read up and down the squid mailing list by searching the
archives of other people having the issue, but couldn't come up
with how they resolved it, or how it is integrated into squid.

I did recompile the source using

./configure '--enable-auth=basic ntlm'

make and make install... It still starts up and runs fine, just no
access to the one server I need to get access to.

I tried adjusting the proxy_auth but I couldn't tell if these were
just for authentication _on_ the proxy, or for actually providing
a helper for authentication outside of the proxy???

The server I can't access is http://cc.usoncology.com (IIS ASP)

It's our internal site on our other network that requires a 3 tier
network login.

All browser clients are IE.

I am getting a 401.2 error:

 401.2 Unauthorized: Logon Failed due to server configuration

 This error indicates that the credentials passed to the server
do not match the credentials required to log on to the server.
This is usually caused by not sending the proper WWW-
Authenticate header field.

 Please contact the Web server's administrator to verify that you
have permission to access to requested resource.<<

any ideas? Any help other than requesting that the owners of that
server turn on basic authentication, because they will not due to
their network policy?

Thanks
Ed Rodgers

andythepooh.com