RE: [squid-users] To Have A /swap Partition, Or Not?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:06:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, ThE LinuX_KiD wrote:

> I will lost performance if my Linux box are working
> with "swapon" ?

Disk layout is not relevant.

Yes, you risk loosing performance if you have swap, as the OS then risks
swapping out parts of Squid due to relatively low I/O pressure in certain
situations which typically occurs during high load situations (where it is
worst if this happens..)

The only benefit of having swap on a Squid server is if you nighly also
run heavy log processing scripts on the server and then temporary may need
more memory than you have.