Re: [squid-users] To Have A /swap Partition, Or Not?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:56:30 +0200

On 12.04 22:24, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> I have not looked into how 2.6 behaves yet, but Linux-2.4 and RedHat 2.4
> kernels can end up in interesting corner cases resulting in out-of-memory
> conditions when deep in swap unless the swap partition is sufficiently
> large to contain all your applications, this regardless of how much or

I'd say, if a system has more swap space than memory space, it can use
swap in a different way (using different algorithm) that will speed up
things a little bit. BUT using swap this way would slow things up if you
have less swap than memory.

linux kernels 2.4 under 2.4.10 had a problem that caused very low
performance if you had less swap than 2xRAM (I don't know if it was
because of problem I described above)

However having enough memory will speed up things much more :)

However this discussion is not related to squid, so let's say the old
good: on a system with squid, you should have enough memory not to swap at
all.

- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.