Re: [squid-users] Making embedded system for squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:42:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, unixware wrote:

> i thought it will work more efficiently and with less
> overhead

Marginally. There is much bigger benefits from other kinds of
opitmizations which are considerably easier to do.

> we use bandwidth manager ( ETINC ) which is
> patched in linux kernel . and some stateful firewall
> like checkpoint aslo intergrated in OS kernel.

All these are performing relatively simple tasks compared to Squid, and
also operating in packet level which is best done in kernel.

Squid operates at the application level, and as such is best run ontop of
the kernel.